Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Best

Corey and I came across a new extreme TV show, "Boundless". The show follows four endurance athletes as "they trek across seven countries and three continents competing against each other, in pairs or as a group in extreme endurance races."
For example, in the latest episode they participated in the Scottish Highlands Quadrathlon, which "features a nearly one-mile swim across Loch Tay, 60 miles of fell running over seven hills above 3,000 feet, a seven mile kayak, and a 34-mile road bike." 
So... Why do I talk about this?! Well, something one of the athletes said has made me rethink something I say quite frequently to my children ... "try your best!"
As one racer grows ever increasingly frustrated with one of the other guys he says something along the lines of how he personally always tries his best and it's hard for him to compete in a team. It almost sounded like he was implying that they weren't trying their best. Watching these guys pushing and struggling to not only complete the race, but win! it is clear to me that they are all trying their personal best(s). 
And, this is where it felt like I got smacked in the face. Everyone's "best" is different. Have I always known this? Sure. But, never had it been so vividly imprinted on me. It's a severe disservice to you and your friends to assume that you/they can match anyone else's speed, strength, or endurance. 
All of us are on an endurance race together. Each of us has our strengths and weaknesses. Which means that there will most likely be a fluctuation of speed throughout each leg of the race. There may be some like these four, that are going to excel at most everything. But, they are called "elite" racers for a reason. This proves my point further. Wouldn't it be ridiculous to measure my performance against one of them?!
I often times tell the kids to try their best, yet I set up a threshold for them where I think they should be. I need to stop doing that. Do I know my kids pretty well? Sure. Do I have a pretty good idea of what their best can be? Probably. But, I recognize now how it might be damaging for me to make a judgment that they did or didn't try their best in certain situations. 
Now for real life application purposes - I guess the appropriate thing would be to ask the questions. How do you feel? Did your best? Could you have done more? Are you comfortable with your performance?
I'm going to repeat this ... Because here is the big picture takeaway. All of us are on an endurance race together. Each of us has our strengths and weaknesses. Which means that there will most likely be a fluctuation of speed throughout each leg of the race. 
What's the most important thing? Endurance. 
2 Nephi 31:20, which happens to be this years YW Theme & my favorite scripture ... "Wherefore, ye must PRESS FORWARD with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and ENDURE TO THE END, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."
No time limits listed, friends. Some finish quicker than others. Some races are cleaner than others. Some people lose their way on the trails and have to re-navigate. No judgments. I'm racing too, but I'm going to start up my cheerleading again. 😉 
We got this! We can do it! See you at the finish line! If I get there before you I will make a big paper sign to run through. If you get there before me - grab me a Coke? 😂

No comments: