Thursday, July 30, 2015

Connected?

It's interesting how since I was a youngster (not THAT long ago) things have changed so radically, especially when it comes to technology. 
Let's think back on a time where there was one land line phone number per household. I would call my friend to see if she wanted to play. It might be my friend who answers the phone - or it could be someone else in her family. Or no one would answer the phone (gasp!). 
Now we would not be deterred. We would text, I/M them &/or their spouse &/or their children. So, are we more accessible? Sure. 
But, also no. As I have started this business one of the things that I've noticed the most is that even though we all have our phones constantly in our hands we are less connected to each other. This can't be news to you, right? It's funny how many times my team and I get "send me the link". Which appears to be the "sure, I'll say send me the link, which I may or may not look at - but it at least gets me off the hook for now, right?" response. When did we turn into these types of people. I mean, I get it. In fact, I'm sure I've even done this myself. But, can we think back to those times when we were actually on the phone talking to our buddy and they asked us to go play for instance. Would we have waited 3 hours - or even 3 days/weeks/months before actually responding? Or would we have ever said, "send me the info" but not truly given an answer? 
I just find this an interesting phenomenon. I'm not suggesting that we lie to each other - nor am I suggesting that we be brutally honest either. Cause even that can hurt sometimes. But, isn't there a way to handle things in a better way? How about "gently honest"? 😊

No comments: