My best friend started taking this class with her child. It's a two piece class - one for the children and a seperate class for the parents to help support their children with their anxiety. My friend and I got together the night of her first class. She brought her slideshow printouts full of info and very clinically asked me to explain the symptoms I get when I have anxiety. I said the four prominent symptoms and she then showed me her printouts, which showed my answers at the top of the list. She then told me I needed 4 of 13 symptoms to be diagnosed with panic disorder. So, Yep. I think that's me. I already knew this, of course. But, it's now more official. 😊
It started after I had Zaida. I think that can be common. I've heard of lots of my friends who worry a lot more after having children. It's just a lot more to think about. And it also gives you a lot more to lose. Which in turn, gave me a lot of fear of something terrible happening.
I'm grateful to go to this class. I am the only parent in there without a child in the companion class. But, it's helping me a lot. I think just hearing all the definitions, physiological symptoms, coping mechanisms, etc. really helps me to feel a sense of normalcy about it.
I'm also grateful that I can recognize that my children are not showing signs of anxiety. I was concerned that I might be "training" them to have anxiety somehow. I'm glad I'm learning how to combat those behaviors even before they become an issue.
I'm grateful I have wonderful friends who love me and support me - even through my kind of crazy. 😊
And I'm grateful I started with this first brick. I think this year is going to challenge me. I'm going to need to be brave. And trying new things will probably give me some anxiety. So, it was actually a brilliant way to begin my year.
More bricks laying in wait ... Excited to see what they build.
No comments:
Post a Comment